Exams - GRE
(Revised as on Aug 1st, 2011):
Graduate Record Examinations
ETS (Educational Testing Service)
Who Takes It and Why?
To pursue PG Degree /Masters Degree in any specialisation apart from MBA in USA.
The score is generally valid for 5 years.
The score is sent to 4 universities free of cost at the time of GRE exam. ETS charges fees (US $ 27 / recipient) for scores sent to universities later.
By Web, Phone, Fax, and Mail.
|Prometric Testing Private Limited2nd Floor, DLF Infinity Tower – A,
Sector 25, Phase II,
DLF City Gurgaon,
HARYANA – 122 002.
No paper forms available. Registration to be done online using ‘My GRE Account’ on ETS website.
Requirements For Web/Phone, Fax and Mail Registration or Requirements For Registration:
There are four ways you can register for the computer-based General Test.
- Online Registration can be done only via International Credit card. International Credit cards that can be used are American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA card. Debit card cannot be used for online registration in India.
- One can register over the phone by using an American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or a VISA International Credit card.
- Post that, students need to call the appropriate RRC [Regional Registration Center]. A confirmation number, reporting time, and the test center address will be given to you when you call.
- One needs to register using American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA International Credit Card and then fax the International Test Scheduling Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC [Regional Registration Center].
- The form must be received at least 7 days before your first-choice test date.
- A confirmation number, reporting time and the test center address will be faxed or mailed to you. If you do not receive a confirmation of your appointment, call the appropriate RRC at least 3 business days before your first-choice test date.
- If your requested date(s) cannot be accommodated, you will be scheduled for the next available test date. If your assigned test date does not meet your needs, call the appropriate RRC within 24 hours of receipt of your registration confirmation.
- Quick Pay Instructions:
- Locate an agent in your country.
- When completing the payment services or blue form, please use the following codes under the “Pay To” section:
- Company Name: Educational Testing Service
- Company Code: GREPROGRAM NJ
- Country: USA
- The form must be received at least three weeks before your first-choice test date.
- A confirmation number, reporting time, and the test center address will be faxed or mailed to you.
- If you do not receive a confirmation, call the appropriate RRC at least 3 business days before your first-choice test date. If you miss your appointment and did not call the RRC, your test fee will not be refunded. If you provide an e-mail address, you may receive a confirmation by e-mail.
- Mail the International Test Scheduling Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC with appropriate payment, (at least 3 weeks prior to intended date).
- ETS now accepts payments via the Western Union Quick Pay service for computer-based testing administrations. Only original receipts will be accepted by Prometric.
Ahmadabad, Allahabad, Kolkata, Chennal, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Trivandrum, Bengaluru & CLICK HERE for other cities.
- A registration no is given as terms of confirmation
- A confirmation number, reporting time, and the test center address will be given to you when you call
By Fax or Mail
- A confirmation number, reporting time and the test center address will be faxed or mailed to you.
(A) General GRE
Rescheduling or Canceling a Test Appointment:
- Contact the appropriate registration center no later than 3 full days before your test date (not including the day of your test or the day of your request)
- The General Test rescheduling fee is $50
- You cannot reschedule between sites served by different Regional Registration Centers (RRCs)
The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are section-level adaptive, meaning that the first section of the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning measures span a range of difficulty levels, from easy to difficult. The first section is assembled such that, overall, the first section is of average difficulty. The second section of each of the measures is administered based on a test taker’s overall performance on the first section.
Number of tests:
Only 1 test can be given in a calender month. A total of 5 tests can be given in a year.
|GRE® revised General Test (tests taken on or after August 1, 2011)|
|Verbal Reasoning||130 – 170, in 1 point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130 – 170, in 1 point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0 – 6, in half point increments|
Structure of the Computer-based Test- approx 3 hrs 45 minutes.
There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the third section.
Number of Questions
(One section with two separately timed tasks)
|One “Analyze an Issue” task and one “Analyze an Argument” task||30 minutes per task|
|20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
(B) SUBJECT GRE
Subject test is a paper based test.
Number of tests:
The test can be given as often as they are offered.
The test is held three times a year, in:
Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, Biology, Psychology, English Literature, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Benefits of a High GRE Score:
- A high score will increase the chances of admission in top ranked Universities.
- Chances of getting Scholarships / Financial Aid are bright with a high GRE score.
- Visa Officers also give weightage to high GRE scores while considering Visa applications.