Vancouver Island University Scholarships
International Student Scholarships and Awards
The following scholarships are available for new international students to Vancouver Island University, at the undergraduate level. Students are considered for scholarships at the time of admission, based on their submitted transcripts and application supporting documents. The standard deadline for admission to most VIU programs is March 31st, and scholarship selections are determined 6 weeks after this closing date. A separate application for scholarships is not required, as students will be automatically considered if they meet the scholarship criteria.
VIU World-Wide Entrance Scholarships
- Number: Maximum 20 each year
- Amount: $1,000 each
- Criteria: Provided annually to exceptional new long-term academic undergraduate student applicants (not one semester Education Abroad or Exchange students). Awarded to up to 20 of the top applicants entering in the Fall semester based on entering grades from submitted transcripts. No application necessary.
VIU International Undergraduate Regional Scholarships
- Number: Six each year
- Amount: $5,000 ($2,500 awarded for the first year of study and $2,500 for the second year)
- 2014 Regions: China – 1 scholarship India – 1 scholarship Europe – 1 scholarship Africa – 1 scholarship South America – 1 scholarship Open – 1 scholarship. The open scholarship is available to students from any nation outside of the countries already identified in the other Regional Scholarships.
- Criteria: The scholarships are awarded to International students applying for entry into the first year of an undergraduate academic program. The award is based upon the entered grades from submitted High School transcripts. No application is necessary.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Entrance Scholarship
Full Program Scholarships
- Number: Maximum 3 per year
- Amount: $1,000 per year for up to 4 years of Academic study
- Criteria: Open to all International students who have graduated with an IB diploma. Selection is based upon highest average of combined marks from an IB school. Awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University in their second academic semester. No application necessary. Awarding of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year scholarships is dependent on retention of a GPA of 3 or better.
- Number: All IB Diploma holders receive this scholarship.
- Amount: $1,000 each for the first year of study
- New International student graduates with an IB diploma. Awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University in their second academic semester. No application necessary.
International Education Academic Excellence Scholarship
- Number: Maximum 15 each year
- Amount: $1,000 each
- Criteria: Awarded to continuing full-time international undergraduate students demonstrating outstanding academic achievement in the previous academic year at VIU. No application necessary, awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University. Students can get the award annually if they meet the criteria.
VIU Peer Helper Award
- Number: Minimum 2 each year
- Amount: $1,000 tuition credit
- Awarded to a continuing full-time ESL or undergraduate student enrolled in a program lasting for at least 14 weeks. Student should have achieved a GPA of at least a “C” in the previous academic year, participated in the Peer Helper program for a minimum of two semesters and have a minimum of 30 hours of volunteer work in the Peer Helper program in each semester. Awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University. Application forms are sent out annually to all International students on the International list serve (ISS list) in late August.
Outstanding International Student Awards
- Number: 3 per year (One – $2,000 award Two – $1,000 award)
- Awarded to continuing full-time international undergraduate students with a minimum of 3.0 grade point average and demonstrating outstanding campus and community achievements in the previous academic year at VIU. Awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University. Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation and a letter outlining how volunteer work has had an impact on their lives. Application forms are sent out annually to all international students on the international list serve in late August.
VIU Outstanding International Student Athlete Award
- Number: 2 per year
- Amount: $1,000 each
- Awarded to the top male & female international athletes of the year. The athletes must be playing on one of the VIU varsity teams.
David E. Jones Award
- Number: 1 each year
- Amount: $500 each Awarded to a continuing International academic student demonstrating outstanding achievement. Decisions are based on recommendation of the department. Funds awarded as a tuition credit at Vancouver Island University. This award may not be available every year. Application forms are sent out annually to all International students on the International list serve (lSS list) in late August.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further information.