About City University London
City University London is a global University committed to academic excellence, with a focus on business and the professions and an enviable central London location. It is in the top five per cent of universities in the world according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013/14. It is ranked in the top 10 in the UK for both graduate-level jobs (The Good University Guide 2014) and in the top 5 for graduate starting salaries (Lloyds Bank).
The University attracts over 17,000 students (35% at postgraduate level) from more than 150 countries and academic staff from over 50 countries. More than 130,000 former students from over 180 countries are members of the City Alumni Network. Its academic range is broadly-based with world leading strengths in business; law; health sciences; engineering; mathematical sciences; informatics; social sciences; and the arts including journalism and music.
City University of London History
The University’s history dates back to 1894, with the foundation of the Northampton Institute on what is now the main part of City’s campus. In 1966, City was granted University status by Royal Charter. Professor Paul Curran has been Vice-Chancellor of City University London since 2010.
City University of London Schools
City has six Schools – Cass Business School, School of Arts & Social Sciences, School of Health Sciences, School of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences, School of Informatics and The City Law School. Our Graduate School, five interdisciplinary centres and the Learning Development Centre complete the academic structure of the University.
Location in the heart of London
- City University of London name was adopted in 1966 to reflect our long-lasting relationship with the City of London.
- The Lord Mayor of London is our Chancellor, a unique arrangement which has been in place since 1966.
- City has been supported by the City of London livery companies for over 100 years.
City University of London commitment to academic excellence
- City University of London are in the top 5% of world universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013/14.
- The University is ranked 4thin London and 21st in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2013).
- City University of London have 15 areas of academic activity where the research was assessed as being of a quality comparable with the very best in the world by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
- Seven of City University London’s subject areas have been included in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2014.
City University of London focus on business and the professions
- Top 10 in the UK for graduate-level jobs (The Good University Guide 2014)
- Top 10 in the UK for graduate starting salaries (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide League Table 2014; Lloyds Bank University Survey 2013)
- City University of London Business and Management courses are ranked 1st in London and 2nd in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2014).
- City University of London Nursing courses are ranked 1st in London and 14th in the UK by both the Guardian University Guide 2013 and the Times Good University Guide 2013.
City University of London Students
- Top 10 in the UK for international students (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide League Table 2014)
- 90% of students satisfied with the quality of their education (2013 National Student Survey). The National Student Survey showed City to have achieved the largest percentage increase in England. Student satisfaction ratings jumped to 86%, compared with 79% in 2012. Teaching at City was one of things students were most happy with, scoring a 90% satisfaction rate.
City University of London Alumni
More than 130,000 former students from over 180 countries are members of the City Alumni Network. Our notable alumni include:
- Muhtar Kent (CEO of The Coca-Cola Company)
- Dick Olver (Chairman of BAE Systems)
- Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou (Founder of EasyJet)
- Tony Blair (Prime Minister of the UK from 1997 to 2007) (Inns Of Court School of Law)
- Dr George Daniels (Horologist,regarded as the greatest watchmaker of modern times)
- Dermot Murnaghan (Sky News presenter)
- Ruby Hammer (Internationally acclaimed make-up artist)
- Faisal Islam (Economics Correspondent at Channel Four News)
- James Harding (Head of News, BBC)