About Cleveland State University
About Cleveland State University
Located in the heart of Cleveland, Ohio, USA, CSU is consistently selected as one of America’s Best Universities by U.S. News & World Report. Known for its engaged learning environment, CSU offers small class sizes, world-renowned professors, more than 200 accredited academic programs and unparalleled real-world opportunities outside the classroom. Our collaborative partnerships with the Cleveland Clinic, NASA, Parker Hannifin, General Electric and many others give students hand-on experience in their chosen field.
How to Apply
Step 1—Complete Application for Admission
- Apply online and pay application fee at https://applynow.csuohio.edu/CSUApply/before submitting any supplemental documents.
Step 2—Obtain Official Transcripts
- For freshman: Original or certified copies of all official secondary school records, including certificates. Photocopies are not acceptable. All school records should be submitted in the original language and should be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- For transfer and graduate: Original or certified copies of all university records (transcripts, mark sheets and certificates). Photocopies are not acceptable. All school records should be submitted in the original language and should be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Step 3—Obtain Official English Language Results
All students must meet the minimum English proficiency requirements for admission consideration. The following scores are acceptable for all undergraduate programs. At the graduate level, different departments may have higher minimums.
- TOEFL internet-based test: 65 (at least 14 in each section)/TOEFL paper-based test: 525/IELTS: 6.0/ iTEP 5.0
- For a full list of options to prove English proficiency, please visit www.csuohio.edu/international-admissions
- CONDITIONAL ADMISSION: Undergraduate applicants can be considered for conditional admission by completing a separate application for Cleveland State University’s Intensive English Language program at http://www.csuohio.edu/ielp or by enrolling in any ELS center (www.els.edu). After successfully completing the CSU IELP program or ELS 112, you will be able to enter into your academic program.
Step 4—Review Individual Department Requirements
If you are applying to a graduate program, your department may require additional documents (GRE, GMAT, letters of recommendation, etc.). Review individual department requirements and find more information about graduate programs at: www.csuohio.edu/graduate-admissions
Step 5—Financial Verification
In order to receive a certificate of eligibility for a student visa (I-20 or DS 20-19) from CSU, all international students must submit documentation of financial support for one academic year. While this is not required for admission consideration, you may choose to submit this documentation with your application materials. For more information about finances, please visit: www.csuohio.edu/international-admissions-financial-requirements
Services for International Students
Intensive English Language Program
- Four levels of instruction (High Elementary through Advanced; There is no true beginner’s level).
- Core courses in Integrated Reading/Writing, and Integrated Listening/Speaking and Grammar and support classes in Vocabulary Development.
- IELP has full-time study. Students receive 20 hours of intensive English study in the classroom per week from experienced ESL teachers.
- Classes offered in 15-week semesters (Fall and Spring) and a 12-week Summer Session.
- Our experienced and qualified instructors have advanced degrees in English as a Second Language or a related field.
Center for International Services and Programs
- International Student Orientation will help you to learn more about U.S. immigration regulations, university community expectations, and area resources.
- Immigration Advising
- Cultural Adjustment